What do literary agents really want?

In a nutshell? Literary agents desire gaining a client that will make them lots of money. Don't be fooled, your writing is about money. Passion, talent, desire, and all that are important, and I write because I love to write, but don't think for a minute that any agent or editor is willing to work with a writer without thinking about the money they are going to make off of said writer.

So, play the game. Your work is nothing more than a product. Treat it as such. Package it properly, make it so that a consumer cannot turn it down. Start small, if you have to, with the small press.

And for God's sake, personalize your query letter.

One agent has this sample query letter on their site:

******************************************************

Dear (name of literary agent),

I am writing in hope that you will be interested in reading my novel, ???. It is (insert genre)'s fiction and tells the story of ____________________. With your success with novels like __________________________ and ___________________________, I think this might be a good fit for your list.

I have had short stories published in the following __________________________, and won ________________________________ award.

I hope this will be of interest to you, and I attach the first ten pages of the novel, along with an SASE for your reply.

Sincerely,

Your Name.

******************************************************

No, I don't think we should write our letters exactly like this, you have your own style, but this is a model I think we should consider. Look at how it is personalized. Perhaps inserting how we came to deciding upon such agency, in addition to mentioning novels they represent that resembles ours would help too. Maybe. Thing is, personalization is the key, and make them feel like they will make a lot of money representing you, without saying "hey, you're gonna make a gut-load of money on my product."

And when you describe your book, it should be tantalizing, yet economical. Be creative in both content and form.

Good luck, and I'll be seeing you again when I next write a post.

Good luck, stay tenacious, and keep writing.

P.S. at the end of the query it states "attach first ten pages of the novel" but honestly, I never call my work novels. A novel is published. What I am offering is a book, or manuscript. I just don't call it a novel. Seems presumptuous to me.

Comments

Popular Posts