Being a Writer

Why is it that we, as new unpublished writers, spend so much time envying the published writers. Okay, okay, for one, they are published. But writing is a solitary trade. Why would we envy that? Not only does the life of a writer ensure that the writer spends a lot of time alone, the writer must love it.

So what is it that we do during that time of solitude? Write? Hopefully. Stephen King, in his book "On Writing" states that he closes the door, pushes away the video games, turns off the television, eliminates all distractions.

I don't try to write like other writers, or get it perfect on the first try. I just write. I write to my heart's desire. Lay the story down as it is in my head. The magic comes when you re-write, and re-write, and re-write.

And when the manuscript is finished, it is time -- time for a literary agent.

My journey is chronicled at my web site in the news section: . What's the story of your journey?

Comments welcome.

God Bless, and remember: A professional is an amateur who didn't quit.

Comments

Popular Posts