My best writing comes when I vegitate

Ever notice that some of your best writing comes when you are in the shower day-dreaming? Okay, maybe not, but that is sometimes the case for me. Unfortunately, most of the time I lose those magical words unless a robe is nearby, and I run fast enough through the house to get to my computer.

Now I have a notebook in the bathroom, after an absence of one for months. More magic has been captured as of late.

In my latest work in progress I have been writing my chapters like this:

After I complete the last chapter, I retreat to the silence of my bedroom, lie back on the bed, and allow my mind to wander somewhere into a state that is not quite dreaming, but not quite full awareness. My characters swim in a pool of possibilities, and without much effort, the next chapter presents itself in my mind, and then I return to the computer and make it happen.

Try it sometime. You might be surprised how much more you can trust your deep imagination than you originally thought.

Comments

Popular Posts