Unevenly Yoked


When my wife and I met it was love at first sight. We became high school sweethearts, and were thoroughly convinced that our love was stronger than anything the world could throw at us.

However, the first years of our marriage were rough, and it came to the point that I wondered if we would make it.

We grew up in different cultures, and different religions. It got to the point that in 1996 we separated for a year.

During that time my dad said to me, "You know, even if she wasn't the right woman for you when you got married, by becoming married she became the right woman in the eyes of God. Rather than battle her, give the marriage to the Lord, and just love her."

Just Love Her.

The separation reached the point of Divorce Court. There we were, battling over the kids in court. I gave my side of why I deserved custody to the moderator with venom. Despite my faith, I was angry that the woman I loved was allowing our marriage to dissolve. I foolishly allowed my anger to control my words.

Then the moderator asked for her argument regarding why she should have custody of the children. My wife stood up there, ready to battle with me, and said, "All I know is I want my husband back."

My heart fell into my knees. We talked after our day in court, and then got back together. From then on we placed our marriage in the hands of the Lord, and now have a marriage I once only dreamed of having.

They say the Lord works in mysterious ways. Well, I don't know about that, but in my case, it took a storm to make us realize how much we love each other.

also posted at Ox. . . After Dark

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's lovely, Doug, and greetings to Mrs. Pistachio!
Danette Haworth said…
Would that we all had the humility of your wife.
Unknown said…
That is so beautiful. Bless you and your dear wife and family!

Popular Posts