Writing when the world is crashing down

As I struggle with arthritis, my job, my overall health, my wife's health, my wife's schooling, money matters, my son's dilemmas (21 year old prodigal son), my daughter's dilemmas (an almost 16 year old young lady), church, outside schedules, responsibilities in Oregon (as well as here in California), the numerous rejections I receive, and trying to get a toe into the proverbial door of the writing business, it is enough to make me want to scream: ENOUGH!!!!

How can anyone write with such obstacles?

Hemingway wrote through a drug addiction, World Wars, and injuries sustained as a part of an ambulance crew during the First World War.

J.K. Rowling was a single mother of a preschool-aged daughter; an aspiring writer trying to make ends meet, that, at one time, because times had become so hard, was forced to go on public assistance in order to survive.

Stephen King was hit by a van in an accident that nearly killed him in 1999.

Piers Anthony has faced controversy, legal battles, and at one time was even blacklisted by the publishing industry.

Dan Brown, though I am not thrilled by his books, has faced plaigerism charges, and battles from many groups, including Christianity due to his novel "The Da Vinci Code."

Agatha Christie braved seperation from her new husband during World War I, and was convinced that she would not survive the London bombings during World War II.

What am I quiveling about? This is nothing. Many published writers began with years of unnoticed hard work as I have, and hundreds of rejections. Good writers get noticed. Good writers make it. Good writers become published eventually.

A professional is an amateur who didn't quit.

Comments

Popular Posts