Writing for the right reasons

When I was in high school I wrote poetry mainly to impress a girl - granted, she became my wife, but that's not the point. If you are writing to impress people, to make yourself look good, and so that you can say "I told you so," it may not be for the right reason.

Okay, you may be saying, "Who cares what the reason is? That's my business. All that matters is that I get published."

But with the wrong attitude and reasons, your chances of getting published diminish. Talent alone does not get a writer published, and a nasty attitude sure doesn't help. An editor can recognize snottiness as quickly as they can detect passion, desire, persistence, and the right reasons.

This is a business, and needs to be treated as such. Write with passion, and treat your manscript as a product. Sell it with the right motive. Succeed because your tenacity made it so, and you passion enabled you to create a superior product.

Comments

Kent said…
It's always about a girl, isn't it?

Popular Posts