Excess Baggage

Have you ever heard of people that drag a lot of stuff along when they travel? I'm one of them. I always overpack. It makes my traveling, to be honest, more complicated and cumbersome. But you know what? Sometimes, when I least expect it, some of those extra things make the trip nicer.

I have a lot of excess baggage in life, as well. Once I took this psychology test and the way it was set up, the higher the score the more stress you carry around in your life. I scored so high that my score was just above the "ticking time bomb" level.

I'm proud of my excess baggage because it's not the kind of excess baggage that ought to be released because it's nothing more than weight holding me down. My baggage is the kind that I have earned from past experiences. Mine bubbles up from a relatively dark past that doesn't necessarily slow me down, per se', but makes my friends laugh out loud when I tell the stories that relate to this baggage. They were the things in my life that made me grow. Mistakes I learned from. Crazy experiences that only I, according to my friends, would ever have the cajones to attempt.

That excess baggage, often times, is not a weight to hold you down when you are a writer, but experiences to draw from for your stories. As a writer, this baggage should never slow you down, because in actuality it is not the weight of monkeys on your back, but wings that help you fly.

Comments

Popular Posts