Disappointments and rejections strengthen you as a writer.

After checking J.A. Konrath's Blog today I discovered that he won't be able to come to California due to unforeseen circumstances. He has three books out, all a part of the Jack Daniels Mystery Series.

Dan Bessie and his wife, Jeanne Johnson dropped me an E-Mail indicating that they are in Connecticut right now on their book tour, and after reading in the News section of my website, assured me not to worry about all of the rejections (72 in all so far this year) I've received. His advice was to just keep practicing my craft and keep sending my work out there. Dan's book is called "Reeling through Hollywood." His wife's is titled "Starlings in the Park."

I missed Mario Acevedo this year when he was at the Book Festival in Los Angeles at UCLA, and he won't be in California for the rest of the year. His second book is in the works, and is due out in March of 2007. He says he isn't sweating. Sure he isn't.

The La Jolla Writer's Conference is drawing near. My wife and I will be attending it in October. We're kind of nervous, and it doesn't look like I will have the book, Political Pistachio, ready by the time we go. Work, my arthritis, and my wife's hospitalization took so much time that I failed to work on the manuscript.

October 2, 2006 I am planning on attending a book signing in San Diego for a book called Playing with the Enemy by Gary W. Moore. The book sounds awesome (and combines two of my interests - baseball and WWII).

And one of my other blogs, Political Pistachio, had 47 hits on Saturday and another twenty early this morning.

And with all of this that I do, it always seems it gets harder and harder to move forward and perservere. Sometimes I am so frustrated I ask myself, "Why do I keep trying?"

Ah, but that is the key. Each setback and experience makes me a better writer, and a better businessman. The difficulties enable me to be become stronger so that when success arrives, I can handle it. I will not give up. Dan Bessie's advice was perfect:

Keep practicing your craft and sending your work out there!

oh, and of course my own mantra: A professional is an amateur who didn't quit.

Comments

Popular Posts