Howard V. Hendrix

Howard V. Hendrix is the author of a number of fiction novels (Spears of God The Labyrinth Key Empty Cities of the Full Moon to name a few) that approach science fiction from a scholarly point of view. Thought provoking, to say the least, his novels still do not compare to conversing with him directly.

On December 8, 2006 I had the pleasure of meeting him at a book-signing, and recently traded a few e-mails with him. It is amazing how my writing skills yearned for perfection as I wrote my e-mails to him. Perhaps the fact that he is a professor (B.S., Biology, May 1980, Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio. Also fulfilled second major requirements in English.
M.A., English Literature, June 1982, University of California at Riverside, California.
Ph.D., English Literature, August 1, 1987, University of California at Riverside) played a part, but I began to strive for the next level in each of my responses to the highly intellectual ideas he presented to me.

I suppose it all goes back to what my dad used to say when I was a kid. When one desires to become a better chess player, the person must compete against those better than him. To play equal or lesser opponents the chess player will not be challenged to take his game to the next level.

I suppose the same goes for writing. To improve one's craft as a writer, one must write with superior craftsmen.

Mom had a saying too. "You become who you hang around."

Comments

Popular Posts