Non-fiction the way to go?

A commenter on my Political Pistachio blog recently asked about my claim of being a writer. She thought I write non-fiction. After discovering that I write fiction, she said that non-fiction is easier to publish. She should know, she further stated, for she has been published as a non-fiction writer. Besides, being published as a non-fiction writer would add credibility to my pursuit of having my fictional novels published.

Then she said, "Even though I disagree with your politics 90% of the time you are a good writer, and you have a lot of political essays on this site."

"Yeah, whatever," was my first thought.

Then I began to think about it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't plan to abandon The Way of Deception. I will continue to work on the latest draft diligently. Jenn and Dave would never forgive me if I quit on it (ha ha). However, would my fictional novel about urban guerrilla terrorism erupting in the United States have a better shot at publication if I wrote and published a non-fiction book first?

What about a book regarding the posts from Political Pistachio? Not just publishing the posts, but introducing them, explaining what was going on in the world (and inside my brain) that led me to write each post, and indicating how my readers responded to it via their comments.

You know, I might have something here.

Comments

Popular Posts