Writer's Conferences

In my growth as a writer I have often said that I became more effective as a writer when I began treating it like a business, and this is true. But how serious am I? Enough to fork out money for a Writers Conference? The La Jolla Writers Conference is coming up. It's a three-day event in its sixth year, and though smaller than the others, still a place to meet editors, agents, and learn more about the craft of writing. My wife and I have prayed about it, and decided that I will attend. If I am serious about being a writer, I must network. What better place than a writers conference?

This is a smaller conference, a great way to get my feet wet. That way, something like Maui, or the San Diego Writers Conference, won't blow me away - - because I'll already have experience at a smaller conference. Beside, who knows, maybe this is how I will get discovered. At worst, I'll learn something, and at best, I'll be published. Seems like a can't lose situation to me.

In the book, Making the Perfect Pitch, by Katharine Sands, there is an interview with a literary agent by the name of Barbara Lowenstein of Lowenstein-Yost Associates. One of the questions posed was: How does a writer communicate that they're going to be a successful client for you?

Lowenstein responded saying, They start by going to writers' conferences. (bingo!) These conferences really give them an inside look into the publishing industry. They get to network with editors, a few agents, and other writers. And the fact that they have invested their time and money in these workshops tells me that they're serious.

Wow, if that doesn't convince me that I need to be at conferences then I don't know what would. There was a book festival at UCLA not too long ago also, and Mario Acevedo (met him last year-and had a quick meal and Q&A session with him and J.A. Konrath - it was so cool) was there. I need to be at events like that as well.

I am a firm believer that good things don't fall into your lap. You have to go get them. Dreams are wonderful, but only dreams if not accompanied by hard work.

One thing is for sure. I am very excited about this conference. I will be attending October 20-22, 2006. I'll fill you in afterward how it went.

Comments

Popular Posts