Another One Bites the Dust

Remember that agent that wanted the first four chapters of my book? They rejected it. Hmmm, was it the writing? Possibly not. After the rejection I began wondering, why did they like the premise in the query letter enough to request the chapters, only to reject it using the words, ". . .not for us"?

Perhaps the writing was bad. Maybe they did not like how I began the book. Maybe the hook did not show their attention. Perhaps, maybe, could have been. . .

Or was it something else?

In the book I am reading, "Making the Perfect Pitch" by Katharine Sands, it is indicated that sometimes an author is rejected by not just following an instruction. . . okay, so did I not follow a direction properly.

Then it dawned on me.

The e-mail address for the original query was not the e-mail address the agent responded with - - and the e-mail said "why don't you send me the first three of four chapters to this e-mail address."

He has a separate e-mail address for incoming, requested information, and I sent it to the original query address. That was it.

The funny thing is that I am a stickler for paying attention to detail, and the one time I don't, I lost out. Lesson learned - - pay attention to every detail.

Comments

Popular Posts