When Grandchildren Grow


My wife and I are fairly young to be grandparents, yet we have two of them. We had our son fresh out of high school, and though it was not the wisest thing to get married so young, we have managed to fall deeper in love over the years, and will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this year. Our children, as did we (and our own parents), decided to start families at a fairly young age. My son's son was born when Christopher was a mere 23 years old. My daughter had her son at 18. Yesterday, after living together for a year or so (not thrilled about them "living in sin," but accepted it because it was necessary to hold the emerging family together until they determined marriage was the right thing to do) my son and his girlfriend became Husband and Wife. I am thrilled for them. Little Ezekiel, my precious one year old grandson, will be better off in the long run.

Our daughter and her boyfriend are still trying to find their way. Her son, Cortez, is five weeks old (pictured above) and is a joy to have around the house, though his newborn demands means we all get a little less sleep.

Watching my grandchildren grow, however, brings a joy that I can't explain. It is different than the love you have for your children. Not a deeper love, or a love not as intense, just different. One thing I can say is that being grandpa is a lot of fun. Nothing brings a tear of joy to your eye faster than coming home from a long day at work and being greeted by your visiting grandson, arms out, excited to see his grandpa.

Yeah, my children may have gotten the order of events mixed up a little, having kids young and prior to marriage, but I believe that all children are blessings, and I am reminded of that every time I look deep into the eyes of my blessed grandchildren.

Comments

Popular Posts