Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Quitting Smoking Cigarettes

A friend of mine e-mailed me recently and said that she had started smoking again, and couldn't seem to quit. I responded to her with this e-mail:

After years and years of trying to quit, and smoking for 21 years, in late October of 2005 I decided it was finally time. I finished my last pack of cigarettes and simply refused to smoke again. Two weeks afterward I bummed a cigarette from a friend, and smoked it. It neither tasted good or bad - and I haven't had a cigarette since.

It can be done (and without the aid of nicotine replacements like Nicorette). Everyone is different, sometimes it is simply the motivating factors that make us quit. Mine was an upcoming surgery, and I knew being a smoker was bad when it came to anesthesia. . . so, for fear of on the operating table, I quit smoking for good.

A quick death, I guess, was much more frightening to me than a slow death by cigarette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home