Sunday, September 14, 2008

A New Life

I began my adult life as a recruit in the United States Navy in 1984. Boot Camp challenged me, shook me up, and trained me to be a shining example of military bearing and training. For the next four years I would be pushed to my limits, and somehow succeed.

I came out of the Navy a better man, and prepared for anything life could throw at me.

The following eight years found me in offices as a banker, secretary, and customer service technician for a city. During those eight years I received mediocre wages and less than appealing opportunities.

Not happy to be someone to just take what is given to me, I changed careers and entered the construction industry. For the next twelve years I made good money through hard work and smart decisions . . . only for it to end when the housing industry collapsed, and prices plummeted. The trenching machines have been silenced, and I have left them behind. After over a year of putting out more than is coming in economically, it was time for a change.

Which brings me to a new life. A little over a week ago I began driving big rigs for a sand and gravel company. I have a million little things to learn, and find myself more challenged than I ever have been before. But that is what being an American is all about. We search out opportunities, and through our hard work and good decisions we obtain and maintain the American Dream.

The hours are long, and the work is hard, but my continued success as a working American remains intact.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why no recent posts?

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gathering dust...

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home